Friday, May 3, 2013

Spring is here, cake to smash and a balloon ride

Spring is my favourite time of the year. The smell of fresh rain, the birds chirping, the flowers blooming and babies being born. My friend Julie is celebrating her son's 1st birthday this month.  And so, in honour of his birth, we captured this special moment in their lives with a cake smash photo shoot and then another outdoor session.  I just love capturing cake smash's. They are always so much fun. Mr. L was actually the first baby I have captured that did not want anything to do with his cake. He didn't like the taste or the feeling of the icing on his fingers. Poor little guy!!! I felt like I was torturing him with cake. Before the actual "smashing" of the cake I took some great pictures of just him. Usually he is a very smiley guy, but on this day he was sporting a rather serious disposition. He must have sensed we were about to do the cake torture. Haha, non the less I got some great shots.



 Mom and Mr. L! Such a pretty mamma but you can tell that little Mr. L totally takes after Dad!

 I made him this fun little party hat but it didn't last very long on his head!



Gotta love those bright blue eyes!!!



Then it was time for cake!



 By the way, I made the garland out of tissue paper. Here is a great tutorial in case you ever need to make tissue paper ball garland.

Poor little guy! He was not very happy about getting so dirty! I thought this was a cute outtake!

After the "cake torture" it was time to get cleaned up. I couldn't resist capturing some cute moments in the bathtub too!



After all that drama, I let Mr. L take a break. I met up with him and his family later in the evening during what photogs call the "golden hour". That is when the sun is starting to set and it creates a beautiful glow to pictures. I have been trying to master this type of photography. I really like the look it creates. I still have a long ways to go in mastering this technique. But like they say, practice makes perfect.

Mr. L's birthday theme is Dr. Seuss's Oh the places you will go. So we decided to put him in a basket with balloons tied to it. It was really cute.


Big sis got in on the action too!




This final picture is exactly the look of the "golden hour". See how the sun creates a golden halo around her head.

I loved taking these pictures. It was so much fun going through the creative process of the cake smash and then the outdoor pictures. Thanks so much again Julie for allowing me to capture your special moment in time.

Linking up here:
I should be Mopping the floor

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, AnnMarie... these pictures are so adorable!! You are really talented! The background decorations are so fun too. Great work! Though I guess some credit goes to the momma for creating such an adorable little guy:)
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Krista! It was so much fun to capture!

      Delete
  2. SUCH adorable photos!!!!!! especially love the one of him sitting on the cake, and the ones with all the balloons :)
    megvcornwell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely adorable!!! What a fantastic idea and such a precious family. Thanks for sharing at Give Me the Goods Link Party!!!
    amy @ www.commona-myhouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete